2017-06-28 RootsMagic 7.5 continues with the RM6 database structure so
there should be no conflict with prior scripts. Of course these scripts
remain unaware of the unique Ancestry TreeShare values used in one or more
tables. Further investigation will reveal what they are and the database
documentation will be revised accordingly. See Ancestry
TreeShare - Impact
RootsMagic 7 released
& DnD transfer losses added
Question added (re: .DAT files in
from Wikispaces added
- Link Pasted Ancestry Sources added
Orphaned Records in the Event Table added
is locked added
is taking a very, very long time added
Expert Personal Edition Version 126.96.36.199 (x64) problem added
is this data? added
media from one person added
is the data stashed added
Names List added
to Add Parents Events to RM Database added
Events with Individual Sentence Customization added
Design Spreadsheets added. Updated workbook to cover RM 7.5 and
converted to Google Sheets.
TreeShare - Impact rev. Added:
Disconnect but preserve Ancestry Sources links for next Upload
- Extract most everything for one to a new database added
- Rename Cryptic Filenames for Citation Media added
- wayfinding from data tables to RootsMagic screens
script for new table for TreeShare
TreeShare - Impact added; ongoing revs. TreeShare released in
RM7.5 that day.
- Count People and Events for a Group added
Templates - Convert Builtins to Editable, Split, Import added
2017-04-19 Navigation Sidebar revised -
removed Poll, added Nav widget and Tag Cloud
Sample Query Created with Views rev with addition of script
to FamilySearch ID in REFN fact added
- Unreverse Author Names added
List Query rev MasterSources.sql to show unused Master Sources
- Delete Unused added.
- married name in death sentences added. Adds or replaces custom
local sentence to use husband's surname..
Invalid added. Addresses cause of empty Family View
Duplicate Single Parent Couples added. Rev
2017-02-14 corrected bug
- Add from Christening or Baptism
- Delete Duplicate Alternate Names of Type 'Married' added.
- Population statistic added. Lists group names and number of
people in named groups.
- convert to Notes et al edited for ease-of-use, speed and
FamilySearchID to REFN fact added. One
use is to reliably match duplicate people for merging.
Sample Query Created with Views added. Demonstrates a modular
approach to building a complex query.
Narrative, Jerry Bryan Trick rev. Ver 2 reduces the instances of
excessive white space, a collateral effect of the trick.
- New Paragraph for General Note added. Improved format for
Start for Dummies added. Know nothing about SQLite? Start here...
Code by Consanguinity Degree added.
Shared Events - Sort Witnesses by Consanguinity plus Name added.
Sorts sharers of event by consanguinity, then by name.
rev. Now calculates consanguinity degree.
- Move Description to Note added. Moves the entire contents of
event descriptions of a selected fact type to the Note for that event.
- All Names in Tree added. Lists all those in the hourglass of the
defined person's tree.
Templates - Merge Duplicates rev. to make insensitive to case and
- Point Form Narratives Setup version 2.
- Geo-Pedigree, plotting your ancestors' birth places started but
aborted in favour of RootsMapper.com
import - restore Event description from Place Details added. Move
the content from each event's Place Detail to the event's Description
added. A start; reports the male and female having the maximum children
total with all spouses.
- Bulk Rename and Relink added. Converts structured media
filenames to another structure and relinks them.
other than English added. Demonstrates current limitations,
working in French.
- Point Form Narratives Setup added. Makes the Narrative format
less verbose, easier to scan.
- markers proportional to number of events added
fast Kinship List added
- Split Shared to Individual edited: added version without RIN
MRIN - add Reference Number fact to all persons added
Order - Global Sort by Marriage or First-Birth SortDate added
Citation Sort added
- Sort Alphabetically added
Invisible - Reveal and Revert added (of interest to migrants from
Queries - Ancestors and Descendants rev (gender filter for genetic
- Set Lineage to Birth added (so
RootsMagic ancestor reports follow birth lines)
to RootsMagic Migration added (index
and summary of useful pages for the TMG emigre)
Length of added (answers how long each
Flag - Set Globally
added (can correctly set/clear living flag without Death fact in most
- Needing Manual Arranging added (lists families in which one or
more children lack Birth or Christen facts)
- Set Order by Birth SortDate added (batch sorting of children in
- Conversion of Place Details to Places added (for when you need
to export to other software)
Managers for Mac OS added
- Copy Repository Name, Address from Repository List
added; rev 14 Dec.
2014-11-25 RootsMagic 7
- most work with RM7 databases; Most scripts since RM7 are
applicable to RM6 but are less so with the older versions.
to SQLite Tools for RootsMagic!
This wiki style site is intended to enhance our use of RootsMagic 4 and
above with queries and reports not provided from within the program.
RootsMagic 4 through 7 use SQLite 3 as their database engine so the .rmgc
database files each creates are readable using third party SQLite management and development tools
We explore collaboratively the RootsMagic 4+ databases with some of these
SQLite managers and develop SQL
queries that attempt to answer questions that cannot be answered or are
difficult to answer using the RM application
. Become a Member with
full privileges to create and edit pages, discuss them, upload files, and
help make our wiki better! Be sure to confirm your email address
when applying to join else you will not receive notice of approval or
other messages from the wiki.
The site has features, such as file storage, essential to such development
and not available from the RootsMagic Forums
. All other
RootsMagic topics should continue there.
RootsMagic SQL Queries
- Experiences of novice users and an example using
SQLiteSpy to do a database integrity check.
RM SQLite Queries
Plunge right in, if you have an idea of what you are doing.
- Post your problem for discussion.
Choose from one of these tools to run your queries.
connect to your database with Access and Excel for great looking reports.
- Use the
same ODBC driver as described for MS Access to connect OpenOffice to a RM
database. Not recommended!
The PoorSQL formatter does a pretty good job of cleaning up scripts to
make them more readable but is written for T-SQL so does not support
SQLite SQL fully. It puts a space between double character operators such
as <<, >>, ==; these can be readily searched and replaced in a
text editor such as PSPad.
Thank you, 2016
Wikispaces terminated free
subscriptions for non-education wikis on Oct 15, 2014 and commenced
charging US$50 p.a. for ongoing service. As of Nov 12, 2016, our fee
jumped 100% to US$100 p.a. There was no apparent (to me, at least) free
or cheaper alternative to which this wiki can be readily migrated. So,
once again, I launched an appeal on 14 Sep 2016 for your financial
support to keep it going for another 12 months. Within 12 hours, the
target was exceeded and the campaign was terminated soon after;
donations have extended our
subscription to Jan 11, 2019. F
undraising for 2016-17 is now
terminated. Full report at Future
of SQLite Tools for RootsMagic wiki 2016-17